What Anaphylactic Shock REALLY Looks Like

We found out that my son has a severe peanut allergy on his first birthday. We were given an EpiPen prescription because there’s a risk that he’ll have anaphylactic shock if he ingests peanut. We immediately banned peanut inside our house as soon as we found out. It took us a while to get used to it because no one else in the family has an allergy (and I hope it stays that way); but we certainly tried our best to make sure he doesn’t come in contact with peanut, but despite our best efforts, he did.

Our First Emergency Care Visit

Let’s back up to one year ago. I had a training for work; and the training facility offered cookies (chocolate chip & oatmeal raisin) for afternoon snack. On my way out, I quickly grabbed a couple and was so excited to go home to my kids. As soon as I got home, I gave them the cookies. Shortly after, my son started itching and his face got swollen. I had no clue what to do; I didn’t know if we should administer EpiPen or not. We ended up rushing him to an Urgent Care facility where he was given steroids. I was also told that the EpiPen should only be used if he has anaphylactic shock. Since then, we’ve been really extra careful with anything he eats or comes in contact with.

My Son Ate A Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup

Fast forward to last night. We just got home from work and my kids quickly ran to the candies they got from Halloween. Both of them were sifting through their candies and deciding which one they’re going to ask my approval for. And then my daughter said she needed to go to the potty. Sometime between me going with my daughter to our bathroom downstairs and my husband sitting on the couch eating his afternoon snack, he ate a candy. And to my horror, it was a Reese’s peanut butter cup.

Shaking, I took our EpiPen from our drawer and kept it close to us. I watched him closely, watching his every move; I waited for any itching or hives. Five minutes later, nothing. So I thought maybe he already outgrew it. I spoke to soon. He started fussing and would open his mouth as if he’s going to throw up.

I tried to remember the past phone calls I had with his doctors when he had an allergic reaction to eggs. They would always ask if he can still eat or drink; they said a Benadryl would do if he still can and that he should be fine after. So I asked my husband for a glass of water and my son was able to drink it without any issues. Twenty five minutes later, he started coughing and fussing a lot. I started to see that he’s struggling to breathe.

a child having anaphylactic shock with a text the shocking truth you need to know about anaphylactic shock

When My Son Had Anaphylactic Shock And I Didn’t Know It

Is it time to give him his EpiPen? But what he was experiencing didn’t look like the ones I saw on the movies. Is it time to take him to an Emergency Care unit? There I was again, no clue what I should do. Restless, I called his doctor. But they were already closed so I had to wait for the on-call doctor to call me back. While waiting, I knew I had to do something. I asked my husband to prepare his Benadryl. But then the doctor called. She told me that any child with a known peanut allergy who is having a difficulty breathing should be given an EpiPen shot and rushed to the ER or call 911.

We administered his EpiPen shot and rushed him to ER. There, he was given steroids and a couple of antihistamines. He was released 3 hours after but should be closely monitored in case the symptoms come back since the peanut is still in his system.

Because of what happened, I learned 3 things.

Anaphylactic Shock Doesn’t Always Look Like The Ones On TV

I really wished parents of kids who have a high risk of anaphylactic shock are educated properly. Back when we found out that my son has a severe peanut allergy, we were trained how to administer EpiPen and were told to use it when he has anaphylactic shock. But no one told us what it looks like. For someone who haven’t dealt with any allergic reactions, my husband and I certainly didn’t know how that looks like. I’ve only seen the ones on TV. And to be honest, that’s what I was expecting to happen. That was my cue that it’s time to administer his EpiPen.

In the ER, I talked to the doctor and found out that anaphylactic shocks aren’t always instantaneous. They could be gradual like what my son experienced. Sometimes it could take 30 minutes, other times it takes a couple of hours.

I Wish I Did A Lot Of Research & Asked A Lot Of Questions

For someone who always turn to Google for anything I do not know how to do at work or for my blog, I didn’t bother researching what the symptoms of anaphylactic shock are. I used to do that A LOT – for anything I would feel. But after having kids, I stopped because I was told that for medical stuff, you should always rely on doctors. And I certainly didn’t want to misdiagnose my kids.

But realizing it now, I also lacked the effort to ask questions. The questions I needed to ask so I can recognize anaphylactic shock as soon as it happened.

We Are Still Very Blessed

Things could have ended differently tonight. The on-call doctor could have got delayed in calling me back and we could have given him Benadryl instead of his EpiPen shot. We could have waited too long and it could have been too late.

We are still very blessed that we did things at exactly the right time. We are still lucky that he’s okay now, playful and active just like he always is.

Am I blaming myself for what happened? Of course I do. I think all mom blame themselves for anything bad that would happen to their child! I feel terrible that it had to happen, that he had to undergo that, that we all had to experience it. Whenever I would ask him if he’s okay, he would tell me his thigh hurts because Daddy poked him. He remembered.

But I couldn’t wallow in it. I am a mom. I need to move on, learn from what happened, have hope that everything will be okay, and give all I could to make sure it doesn’t happen again.

Even though I still can’t understand why he has to have a peanut allergy and why these things have to happen, I’d still stand by what I said 1 year ago when I found out he has a severe peanut allergy. Things happen for a reason; and soon enough, it will all make perfect sense.

I truly hope you find our experience helpful and the lessons I learned valuable; especially if your kid has a high risk of anaphylactic shock.

If you loved this post, don’t forget to pin it.

a child having anaphylactic shock with a text how to know it's anaphylactic shock before it's too late

What did you think of this post? Let me know in the comments. You know I always love to hear from you.

To keep tabs on One Awesome Momma, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, and YouTube.

Kisses, Belle - blog post signature