Things To Do With Toddlers At Massanutten Resort

My daughter used to be scared of water – pool, ocean, anything. Even when I thought she has finally gotten over her fear of water, she really didn’t. It wasn’t until recently when she started showing interest in playing with water. She would constantly tell me how she wants to swim in any body of water she’d see, even a small puddle of water. How cute, right? We’ve taken her and my son to an indoor pool near where we live quite a few times during the colder months; and she’d constantly tell me she wants to do it again. So last Memorial Weekend, my husband and I thought it would be perfect to bring the kids to Massanutten Resort.

About Massanutten Resort

A breathtaking property, Massanutten Resort features 6,000 acres of mountain fun at its very best. Unique in both its size, variety of amenities, and outstanding condo and hotel accommodations, Massanutten has secured its spot as one of the premier all-seasons resort destinations on the East Coast.

Massanutten Resort offers many unique amenities including the Indoor/Outdoor WaterPark, Ski and Adventure Park area, two fantastic golf courses, farm-to-table dining experiences, shopping and recreation options, along with a day spa for complete relaxation and rejuvenation. Located in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, Massanutten is easily accessible from many major cities. You can read more about them here.

Where We Stayed

Massanutten Resort lodging is available in two locations – on mountain where you’ll get to enjoy year-round breathtaking views and natural wildlife; and in the valley where you’ll enjoy scenic rolling hills, parks and pools, along with an easy drive to most resort facilities. You can read more about the different lodging options here.

facade of Regal Vista at Massanutten Resort

We were supposed to stay in one of their Eagle Trace units. These charming condos are town-house style units. They feature two-bedrooms, sleeping 12, or can be locked out to two, one-bedroom units, which each sleep 6. But upon check-in, we were told we have a complimentary room upgrade to one of their luxury townhouses, the Regal Vista. It is their newest condo area. These units offer expansive views of the Blue Ridge Mountains while overlooking the resort area of Woodstone Meadows. This private, gated community is home to an outdoor pool, picnic area, and workout facility.

Our Regal Vista unit was beyond amazing! It truly felt like a home while on vacation. It has 2 bedrooms, and 2 full bathrooms – one of which has a whirlpool tub, a full kitchen, a dining area, a living room, a deck with a gorgeous view, a washer and dryer, and a 1-car garage.

living room inside the Regal Vista unit at Massanutten Resort

Needless to say, our unit was very spacious. The kids had so much fun running around the different rooms and the hallways whenever we’re in our unit. And my husband and I truly appreciated that we got to watch TV and spent time with each other in the living room while the kids are sleeping without worrying that we’ll wake them up.

Besides the townhouse being luxurious, our favorite part was the whirlpool tub where we took a bath after enjoying the waterpark; the kids especially loved the different-colored lights and the bubbles. And, of course, the stunning views we got to see every time we’re driving to and from our Regal Vista unit.

Tip: Bring toiletries and bottled water (if that’s what you prefer) with you during your stay as these aren’t provided in our unit. I am not sure though if the other units have these.

Why we loved Massanutten Resort: We had problems with our unit keys working with the lock; we always had to call security to let us in our unit. After a few attempts with reissuing new keys, they figured they had to reset our lock to fix the issue. And they gave us dining gift certificates for all the inconvenience it had caused us. It was such a sweet gesture which we truly appreciated.

Where We Dined

Massanutten Resort has several different options for dining. From BBQ and salads, to burgers and pizza, to pub fare and to-go meals, they offer something for every taste, every season, and every occasion. You can check out the different dining options here.

The Blue Ridge Buffet

stunning view of Blueridge Mountain from Blueridge Buffet at Massanutten Resort

The Blue Ridge Buffet & Restaurant is located on the top floor of the Massanutten WaterPark. The large dining room is surrounded by glass walls creating a panoramic view of the WaterPark as well as the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains.

Virginia BBQ & Pizza Co.

Virginia BBQ & Pizza Co. at Massanutten Resort

If you are craving a taste of down home southern barbecue, then Virginia BBQ & Pizza Co. is the place for you. From their very own custom built smoker, they offer mouthwatering wood-smoked chicken, pork, and ribs accompanied by delicious, traditional southern sides.

The Blue Ridge Buffet offers a variety of food for everyone. They have a salad station, pasta and rice, vegetables, a pasta station where freshly made pasta are cooked according to your preference, chicken, beef, and seafood, a taco station, a dessert station, and an ice cream machine.

The Virginia BBQ & Pizza Co. is a nice casual place to dine in. They have pick-your-own platters and individual meats & sides to choose from. We were able to try their chicken, ribs, mac & cheese, green beans, and corn.

The food we had at both restaurants, The Blue Ridge Buffet and Virginia BBQ & Pizza Co., were great! I loved everything we had and the kids enjoyed their meals from both restaurants. My daughter, who never eats carbs like breads and cakes, LOVED the dump cake from The Blue Ridge Buffet; she finished everything I had on my plate.

Why we loved Massanutten Resort: Since my son has a peanut allergy, we have to be always careful with what he eats. While The Blue Ridge Buffet did have some food that he can’t have, the chef happily offered to grill a chicken for him which we really appreciated; and my son absolutely loved.

What We Did During Our Stay

Indoor WaterPark

indoor waterpark at Massanutten Resort

Massanutten Resort’s indoor waterpark has something for everyone, especially the little ones. The central feature of their waterpark is the Massanutten Meltdown which has a bit of everything – from water cannons to water falls, and of course, a giant tipping bucket. The indoor waterpark also has body slides, lazy river floats, pools, hot tubs, and FlowRider where you can learn how to bodyboard or surf.

We were able to try almost all of the attractions in the indoor waterpark except for the FlowRider. My daughter and son especially loved the Frog Pond, which is the pool for babies and kids. We spent most of our time here. They also enjoyed the lazy river; we would pretend there are zombies and monsters inside the caves that we passed by and they found it really exciting. What they loved the most are the slides and simply playing with water. My daughter actually tried one of the giant slides by herself (they only allow one person to ride the slide) and she did really great. I rewarded her with an ice cream afterwards for being so brave. And up to now, she still talks about her giant slide experience.

They also have an outdoor waterpark which they had to close because of thunderstorm for everyone’s safety; which is why we weren’t able to enjoy it.

Tip: Bring your own towels when visiting the waterpark as they do not provide these.

Game Area

game area at Massanutten Resort

Massanutten Resort has a game area just above the waterpark. We spent an hour or so here after we had dinner on our second night because my daughter wished to play with some of the games. They have a good variety of games in their game area. Among these are basketball, car and motor racing, claw machines, bowling, and shooting games. The kids had a great time with the different games they played.

Petting Farm

Mommy and 2 toddlers enjoying the petting farm at Massanutten Resort

Massanutten Resort has a petting farm which features sheep, bunnies, donkeys, ducks, a pot belly pig, a turkey, a goat, and more. For $7 per adult (kids 3-year-old and below are free), the kids will get to see some animals go about their normal routine; which really piqued my kids’ interest. They got really amazed with the goat walking on an elevated ramp; and they had so much fun chasing the duck.

Pony Ride

toddler riding a pony at Massanutten Resort

Massanutten Resort offers a pony ride attraction to children 2 years and above, for $10 per kid. It’s located right next to the petting farm. Gentle, full-size horses are hand-led for 2 laps around a designated area inside the arena. My daughter had an amazing time when she rode the pony.

Parents are not allowed to walk alongside the horse and hold their kids; and because of that, they do require that the kid is able to sit firmly when riding the pony. However, they will happily hold your child for you if they aren’t able to yet.

Massanutten Resort offers other activities that we didn’t get to enjoy because of age restriction and time constraints like Mountain Biking, Mega-Zip, Canopy Tour, Summer Tubing, and Climbing Wall. They also offer snow sports during Winter which makes it a great place to visit during the colder months. You can check out all the attractions they have here.

Why we loved Massanutten Resort: Massanutten Resort offers a wide variety of activities for all ages which makes it a perfect place to visit with the whole family. Both kids and adults will surely have a lot of fun with all the attractions they have within the resort. We know that for sure because we had an amazing time at Massanutten Resort. My daughter has been already telling me that we will have to go back there. And I told her we will, soon.

Check out the highlights of our Massanutten Resort trip in the video player below.

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBmWuMoe_8k&w=560&h=315]

Does this post leave you wanting to find out more about Massanutten Resort or book a room?

Call (540) 289-9441 or check out the Massanutten Resort website. When you book your room, tell them One Awesome Momma sent you.

If you loved this post, don’t forget to pin it.

Massanutten Resort waterpark in Virginia with a text on the top Fun things you must at massanutten resort this summer your kids will surely love

Massanutten Resort provided us waterpark passes and a complimentary room upgrade during our entire stay. As always, all thoughts and opinions are 100% honest and my own.

What did you think of this post? Have you gone to a waterpark before with your kids? How was your experience? Have you been to Massanutten Resort before? How did you like it? Let me know in the comments. You know I always love to hear from you.

To keep tabs on One Awesome Momma, don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, Bloglovin’, and YouTube.

Kisses, Belle - blog post signature

121 Comments

• June 26, 2017 / 11:50 AM

You have to check this out if you’re ever in the area! The waterpark is really nice!

1. Robin Rue
    June 13, 2017 / 6:54 AM

That sounds like an AWESOME place for a family getaway! My kids are older, but they would have a blast there.

• June 26, 2017 / 11:50 AM

It is a perfect place for a family getaway! My daughter has been telling me that we have to go back. Lol!

2. Caitlin Patoka
    June 13, 2017 / 7:35 AM

Looks like a blast! My kids would go crazy in that indoor water park!

• June 26, 2017 / 11:50 AM

Thank you! It is a really fun place! I bet your kids would love the waterpark!

3. Amy Blake
    June 13, 2017 / 8:10 AM

This is such an awesome place for families! Looks like you had an awesome time!

• June 26, 2017 / 11:51 AM

Thank you! We did; we had a great time! We’re going to have to go back!

4. Ryan Sneltzer
    June 13, 2017 / 8:32 AM

That place looks sweet! I want to go there without my kid haha. Great list or ideas

• June 26, 2017 / 11:51 AM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit this resort if you’re ever in the area!

5. June 13, 2017 / 9:15 AM

This looks so fun and the best family vacation spot. Everything looks so cool and must have been a fun time for the whole family. Thanks for sharing this and what a cool read.

6. Deirdre Londergan
    June 13, 2017 / 9:42 AM

Looks amazing!!! I can’t believe it has a petting zoo. Thanks for sharing.

• June 26, 2017 / 11:52 AM

Thank you! I didn’t know they have a petting zoo which was really fun!

7. Corinne Burghardt
    June 13, 2017 / 9:48 AM

omg, i love these photos! looks like you guys had so much fun 🙂 i bet your daughter loved riding the horses. we are hoping to do something a fun this summer, maybe with a nice water park like the one in your post!

btw, love your red lipstick in the picture with your kids and the goat! wish i could pull it off! <3

• June 26, 2017 / 11:54 AM

Thank you! Yes, my daughter really loved her pony ride. She kept watching her video. Lol! I hope you get to do something fun with your family this summer! And than you about the lipstick! I’m sure you would; you just have to try it! 🙂

8. Kimberly Samantha
    June 13, 2017 / 10:03 AM

How cute is your family! Your children are so adorable 🙂 This place looks so amazing though! I’d really like to stay here. I’m adding this to my list of places to visit <3
    Kimberly

• June 26, 2017 / 11:54 AM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit the resort if you’re ever in the area!

9. Kaity Johnson
    June 13, 2017 / 10:58 AM

That indoor water park looks incredible. And the petting zoo! And the pony rides. Okay, everything! 🙂

10. Amanda Maxwell
    June 13, 2017 / 11:11 AM

This place looks amazing for kid and adults alike!! That pool situation is amazing.

11. June 13, 2017 / 12:12 PM

This looks like such a marvellous place to be and have a nice family excursion. Food allergies are always tricky and no fun, I have a few myself so I understand. Thanks for sharing. x/Madison
    FASHION TALES

12. Ashley Markwood
    June 13, 2017 / 12:24 PM

Wow this looks stunning and like so much fun!

13. June 13, 2017 / 1:03 PM

Massanutten is only about an hour or so away from me! It’s such a fun place. Love going tubing there in the winter!

• June 26, 2017 / 11:56 AM

That’s awesome! We probably have to go back in the winter to try that!

14. June 13, 2017 / 1:57 PM

Beautiful! I love resorts that have a little bit of everything and this one looks like it fits the bill!

15. Sumer
    June 13, 2017 / 2:34 PM

Wow! I have never heard of this before, but I’m seriously in love! This looks like such a great family vacation!!

16. June 13, 2017 / 3:05 PM

What a cool family destination! That indoor waterpark looks like SO much fun – my whole family would love that!

17. Charlotte Pottieger
    June 13, 2017 / 3:35 PM

This post has me homesick for Virginia! This is an amazing guide!

• Charlotte Pottieger
        June 26, 2017 / 12:25 PM

I grew up in Charlottesville, VA!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:46 PM

How nice! I love living in VA! I don’t know where Charlottesville is exactly – I just looked it up and it looks like it’s near the resort. 🙂

18. June 13, 2017 / 3:48 PM

Belle, it looks like you all had a great time! The resort sounds awesome and the indoor water park looks so fun.

19. Pam from Wine and Lavender
    June 13, 2017 / 3:52 PM

This all looks like so much fun and has me eager to plan next year’s trip!! (We’re all booked up this summer already- otherwise, I’d try to make it happen lol ).

• June 26, 2017 / 12:01 PM

Lol! Our summer is busy too. All our birthdays fall during the warmer months – July, August, and September. So we’ll definitely take a lot of trips in the summer. I hope you get to visit this resort next year. Let me know how it goes!

And enjoy all your summer trips!

20. R.M. Lopez
    June 13, 2017 / 6:47 PM

This looks like such a great time!!! pinning this to save!

21. June 13, 2017 / 7:18 PM

The horse picture!! Love!! What a great time! That looks like a fun place for multigenerational get togethers!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:17 PM

Thank you! We really had a great time and it looks like we’re going to keep on coming back!

22. Jessica Peresta
    June 13, 2017 / 9:21 PM

Ok this looks like an amazing vacation! My boys would love it!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:18 PM

We had an amazing time! You should absolutely visit if you’re ever in the area!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:19 PM

Thank you! It really is an amazing resort. You should absolutely visit if you’re ever in the area!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:19 PM

The views are amazing! It was one of the things I look forward to every morning!

23. Tracy Morgan
    June 14, 2017 / 3:34 AM

Wow, that looks amazing – we have nothing at all like that here in Sweden. Another reason why we need to be heading to the US for a holiday (vacation). So nice that your little girl is not as afraid of the water – kids have so much fun when they are swimming or just in the water!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:20 PM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit US for a holiday! You’re going to have so much fun! 🙂

24. Bethany M. Edwards?
    June 14, 2017 / 6:41 AM

Lovely review and very comprehensive! Love water parks!!

25. June 14, 2017 / 7:21 AM

I love water parks! It’s my favorite place to take my nephews and nieces in the summer! This place looks awesome and I’ll definitely keep it in mind for our adventures!

26. June 14, 2017 / 8:13 AM

Looks so cozy and home like and tons of stuff to do! We love staying places that include a waterpark.

27. Stephanie Nienstedt
    June 14, 2017 / 9:35 AM

We were at massanutten over the weekend. Nice place. Did you have to do the timeshare presentation to get the room upgrade. If so that might be worth the few hours to hear them sell me a timeshare for a nice room. We actually stayed in the eagle trace condos. Very nice but it’s at the very end of the resort. O and about the room keys. I was informed on check in that we keep then away from our phones because they demagnetized the cards if they get to close to the phones. We didn’t do the water park as my son’s only 2 and is scared of water. Had no idea they had a petting zoo that’s something I’ll have to check out next time.

• June 26, 2017 / 2:23 PM

Stephanie, no we didn’t do the timeshare presentation. I reached out to them for a blog post collaboration that’s why they gave us the upgrade. 🙂 Yes, they told us about the keys. We were really careful not to put them near our phones and credit cards; but even with that the keys still won’t work.

I totally feel you. My daughter used to be scared of the water too. The petting zoo was really fun; that’s another reason for you to come back. 🙂

28. Reesa Lewandowski
    June 14, 2017 / 11:06 AM

Wow this looks like a wonderful getaway! I am going to have look into this, we love resorts like this!

29. June 14, 2017 / 1:33 PM

It looks so fun there! I’ll look into this for a vacay

• June 26, 2017 / 2:24 PM

Thanks, Jasmine! You have to visit this resort; it’s so much fun there!

30. Christine Cox
    June 14, 2017 / 1:43 PM

The house looks awesome. My kids love staying at big houses and hotels when we go away. I think they love that more than the actual experience sometimes. And that waterpark!! WOW!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:24 PM

Lol! It really is a nice house! I’m sure they’re going to love it there.

31. June 14, 2017 / 1:46 PM

This looks like an amazing getaway – despite the key issues! The indoor water park is awesome! And the pony rides! My kids would love the pony rides.

32. Ruthie Ridley
    June 14, 2017 / 2:14 PM

we have been here before and I LOVE IT!! SO perfect for families!

33. June 14, 2017 / 3:13 PM

Such a perfect location for a family vacation. The location is so quaint and it looks like there is plenty of things to do with the little ones.

34. June 14, 2017 / 3:15 PM

This resort looks incredible. I love spending time in the mountains so this place would be perfect for my next family vacation.

35. June 14, 2017 / 3:35 PM

This looks like an absolutely incredible place to visit. My kids would love it there, great post!!

• June 26, 2017 / 2:26 PM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit the resort if you’re ever in the area. Your kids are going to have tons of fun!

36. June 14, 2017 / 3:52 PM

It looks so nice! I’ve heard nothing but good things about it! Loved seeing all your photos on IG of the trip!

37. Jeannette
    June 14, 2017 / 6:15 PM

Your kids are beautiful! It looks like they had a really great time. This brought back some good childhood memories from Massanutten Resort.

• June 26, 2017 / 2:26 PM

Thank you! You’re absolutely right! With trips like this, it’s really the memories that we make with them that matters!

38. June 15, 2017 / 12:14 AM

Massanutten Resort is such an awesome place to visit with the family. My kids would totally love the indoor water park.

• June 26, 2017 / 2:27 PM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit the resort if you’re ever in the area!

39. Louise Smith
    June 15, 2017 / 6:37 AM

Ooh, the Massanutten Resort looks amazing! I think my two would really like it here 🙂

Louise x

• June 26, 2017 / 2:27 PM

Thank you! It really is an amazing place to go to with the entire family!

40. Missy Burson
    June 15, 2017 / 10:50 AM

This place looks like Disneyland for the East coast! My kids would love the water park and petting zoo.

41. Amber Nelson
    June 15, 2017 / 9:20 PM

Wow, that looks like such an amazing place. Looks like a great place for families.

42. Kirsty Pickering Bott
    June 16, 2017 / 7:51 AM

Oh this looks absolutely AWESOME!!!! Great review, thank you for sharing!

43. Trisha Rawlings
    June 16, 2017 / 1:23 PM

This resort looks like so much fun! It truly looks like a great family vacation spot. And that waterpark…my daughter would love it!

44. June 18, 2017 / 6:04 PM

I love that they gave you dining certificates after all the trouble you went through. That shows that they are sensitive to the needs of customers with families.

45. June 19, 2017 / 9:39 AM

Wow this place looks like so much fun! I know my boys would love to go here and we’re looking for add places to our family vacation bucket list! I think this just made it!

46. Yasmin Ali
    June 20, 2017 / 11:11 AM

I don’t have kids but I never thought about bringing them here! Defniitely sharing this with my aunt who travels and has three girls!

47. June 26, 2017 / 12:02 PM

Thank you! You should absolutely visit this with your family if you’re ever in the area!

48. Autumn Murray
    May 2, 2018 / 3:25 PM

I’ve never stayed at a mountain resort before. Massanutten Resort looks amazing! Yes, please!

• Belle
      Author
      May 10, 2018 / 12:40 PM

It sure was amazing! Are you planning to visit?